“Prague never lets you go… this dear little mother has sharp claws.” – Franz Kafka (1883-1924), Prague German Jewish author, novelist
Prague is the most beautiful city on earth, and I think Franz Kafka agreed with me.
Even after living in Prague as an expat for three years, I still have not tired of Prague’s beauty. From the steep city hills to the winding Vltava River, to the time-worn cobblestones to the thousand spires skyline, Prague is a city like no other. If you haven’t visited Prague yet, you must. Start a jar for saving nickles and dimes today.
When you arrive in Prague, you’ll realize the centerpiece of the city is the Prague Castle, which sits high on a ridge overlooking the Vltava River. The Czech government still meets in Prague Castle today, yet the first structures within the Castle date back to around the year 880 AD. It is a fascinating place to tour.
If you have 3 hours, you can see much of Prague Castle. Here, my 10 favorite sites within the Castle walls:
1) Golden Lane.
2) Kafka’s house on Golden Lane.
3) The Lobkowicz Palace. (Actually, this is Number One on my favorites list, but you must visit Golden Lane early because of the crowds.) Inside, the Lobkowicz Collections display amazing cultural artifacts and treasures from over four centuries, including Canaletto paintings (including the recently renowned painting of Lord Mayor’s Day, remembered in celebrating the Queen’s Jubilee), Beethoven’s manuscripts of the 3rd, 5th, and 6th Symphonies, etc. Priceless.
My other favorite is to have lunch at the Lobkowicz Palace on the balcony overlooking the city, and to catch the live chamber performance inside the Palace, offered every day at 1 pm.
4) The cobblestone walk.
5) Saint George’s Basilica and Church.
6) The mosaics and architecture outside Saint Vitus Cathedral.
7) Saint Vitus Cathedral, inside. Stunning.
8) The front gates of the Prague Castle.
9) The Prague Castle Changing of the Guard.
10) The View over Prague from the Prague Castle gates.
Have you visited Prague or the Prague Castle? What sites are on your favorites list?